Spainmartergut
Novice
Novice
Spain (es)
Spain

A quick start for VA

Post by Spainmartergut »

Hello everyone,
I'm posting regarding the Virtual Accelerator in TraceWin, since the information in the manual is not enough for me to understand.

I've seen the VA example but I don't know how to proceed with my project, or even how to do it from scratch. I mean, I have my project and everything is fine, but I don't know how to start working with the virtual accelerator.

Could you give me any guidance? I would really appreciate a 'quick start' section or something similar.

Thank you in advance.
FranceDidier
Administrator
Administrator
France (fr)
France

Re: A quick start for VA

Post by FranceDidier »

Dear Marta,

I will try to help you step by step from scratch, but first I need to know some things:
- Do you have a working accelerator of which you have a model in TraceWin ?
- This accelerator is controled under EPICS ?
- Do you have the possibility to reach the EPICS network of a PC where TraceWin is running ?
- If we start with a very simple example of 2 quadrupoles for example, would that allow you to continue on the rest of the machine ?
- If yes:
- How do you set your quadrupoles on commend-control (via current value (A) or gradient (T/m))
- How do you simulate your quadrupoles in TraceWin, with a hard-edge element (QUAD) or a field map element (FIELD_MAP)

Regards,

Didier
Spainmartergut
Novice
Novice
Spain (es)
Spain

Post by Spainmartergut »

Hello Didier,

No, I only have the model, we don't have access to any real accelerator.
But yes, it'd be controlled under EPICS.
I think I can reach the EPICs network from the same PC.
And yes, that very simple example will help me getting through the rest.
I set the quadrupoles via gradient (T/m) and define them with QUAD in TraceWin.

Thank you Didier.
FranceDidier
Administrator
Administrator
France (fr)
France

Post by FranceDidier »

Dear Marta,

So I will try to describe a simplified procedure to start from scratch (probably today or tomorrow)
However, I have a little trouble understanding the usefulness of an EPCIS database if you don't have a real machine. Do you have at least a command control system with this EPICS? What exactly is your objective ?

Regards,

Didier
Spainmartergut
Novice
Novice
Spain (es)
Spain

Post by Spainmartergut »

Hello Didier,

No, we don't have yet, we are at a very starting level, and would like to study the communication between both tools.

Thank you.
FranceDidier
Administrator
Administrator
France (fr)
France

Post by FranceDidier »

Dear Marta,

I wrote a chapter included in the TraceWin documentation at the end of the "Virtual Machine" chapter, proposing a quick start from scratch, for a simple example. I will amend it with the more advanced mode of the virtual machine later as needed.
In any case, you must update your code because otherwise my step by step example will not work because of a missing option

I'm in any case, interested in your feedback on this chapter "Quick start from scratch".

Regards,

Didier