Germanyhendrik.haehnel
Apprentice
Apprentice
Germany (de)
Germany

Feature Request: (automatic) update functionality

Post by Germanyhendrik.haehnel »

Dear Didier,
Would it be possible to include automatic update functionality for TraceWin/PlotWin?

TraceWin revieves a lot of relevant bug-fixes and therefore sometimes every other day there is a new version. I really appreciate this, because this way, the code is improved all the time. However, it can mean a lot file copying (and filling out the online form ...) to always update TraceWin to the latest version. This is especially true if you run multiple workstations (e.g. Office, Home-Office, Laptop).

I would propose an automatic update option in the GUI, which can be run, when the prompt for a new version appears (and from the "About" page or similar). It would only work with a valid license, so there would be no need for the online form every time?

I would really appreciate this.

Best regards,
Hendrik

p.s.: Also, would there be a way to sign the Windows executables, so that the Windows 10 execution prevention (or Defender Smart Screen) doesn't block TraceWin every time, a new version is copied?
GermanyMalte
Novice
Novice
Germany (de)
Germany

Re: Feature Request: (automatic) update functionality

Post by GermanyMalte »

I find this suggestion very useful and fully support it!
The frequent updates are a great thing, so it would be even nicer if the updating itself could therefore be carried out more quickly i.e. started directly from TraceWin.
Best regards,
Malte
FranceDidier
Administrator
Administrator
France (fr)
France

Post by FranceDidier »

Dear all,

I am convinced that the 2 suggestions you are asking for would be relevant.
The automatic update would certainly be more comfortable for the users. It is important to know that the policy of systematically updating each small correction or improvement has been put in place to respond very quickly to the users at the origin of the request. But for the others it doesn't mean that they have to upgrade necessarily every time.
That said, I would like to implement such a feature, but unfortunately, my organization, the CEA, is very strict on certain rules and it is totally forbidden to do this for the moment. The recent pandemic has changed things a bit and for example this forum would have been banned some time ago. So, we are making progress and I don't exclude changing things in the near future on the issue of automatic updates.

The second request concerning the signature of the windows executable is simply a technical problem. I tried to set it up, but it's rather complex and I clearly don't have the skills to do it, and unfortunately I can't find the necessary support here. I've tried to set it up, but it's quite complex and I clearly don't have the skills to do it, and I can't find the support here. Also, it seems that each system has its own rules, defender for you, Sysmantec for us...That said, if any readers here have that skill, I'm obviously interested.

Best Regards,

Didier
FranceDidier
Administrator
Administrator
France (fr)
France

Post by FranceDidier »

Dear all,

Finally, I found a way to propose the automatic update feature without breaking the rules imposed by my institute. The latest versions of the codes can be updated automatically via the message indicating that a new version exists or via the "Help" menu.

Regards,

Didier
Germanyhendrik.haehnel
Apprentice
Apprentice
Germany (de)
Germany

Post by Germanyhendrik.haehnel »

Dear Didier,
thank you, that is awesome, a really nice addition to the code.

Best regards,
Hendrik