Franceemo
Neophyte
Neophyte
France (fr)
France

Curvature of pole face in EDGE

Post by Franceemo »

Dear Didier,

I would like to be able to apply a curvature of the entrance and exit pole face of dipoles.
In some other programs that I used in the past, e.g., COSY infinity, the curvature effect is defined by a simple coefficient.

Would it be easy to include the pole face curvature effect into the EDGE element of TraceWin?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Emil
FranceDidier
Administrator
Administrator
France (fr)
France

Re: Curvature of pole face in EDGE

Post by FranceDidier »

Dear Emil,

Why not, but please help me for that and explain me which coeficient are you taking about and applied to what exactly

Regards,

Didier
Franceemo
Neophyte
Neophyte
France (fr)
France

Post by Franceemo »

Dear Didier,

Thank you for your answer.
I looked in the manual of COSY Infinity and this is what is explained there for the curvature.

"In the sharp cut off approximation, the horizontal motion in the homogeneous dipole is based on
geometry. The vertical effects of edge angle and curvatures is approximated by a linear and quadratic
kick, which is a common approximation of hard-edge fringe-field effects."

The curvature is defined in units of [1/m] but I do not know how does it relate to the strength of the kick.
It should be simple to implement but I did not find the correct references yet.
I will let you know if I find more information.
Franceemo
Neophyte
Neophyte
France (fr)
France

Post by Franceemo »

Dear Didier,

I managed to find the necessary information for adding curvatures on the entrance and exit pole faces of dipoles in TraceWin. These pages were taken from the SLAC report 75 -
"A first and second order matrix theory for the design of beam transport systems and charged particle spectrometers" by K.L. Brown.
In case you would need more information or the references, you can see the whole document in the link below.
https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/4742148

I would be very, very grateful if you can make the curved pole face addition to the EDGE element in TraceWin.
This will help us to define the optimal dipole design for achieving the desired A/q resolution.
Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Emil
Franceemo
Neophyte
Neophyte
France (fr)
France

Post by Franceemo »

Dear Didier,

Did you have the time to look into my request concerning pole face curvatures in dipoles?
Do you think that this functionality would be posssible to implement in TraceWin in the near future?

Thank you in advance for your answer!

Best regards,
Emil
FranceDidier
Administrator
Administrator
France (fr)
France

Post by FranceDidier »

Dear Emil,

I'm sorry, I don't know why but I wasn't informed, as is usually the case with your posts.
Well it's not going to be easy for me, so I'll suggest this. In the manual you have the edge angle matrix defined. Write it down for what you want to have and I'll implement it.

Regards,

Didier
Franceemo
Neophyte
Neophyte
France (fr)
France

Post by Franceemo »

Dear Didier,

Thank you for your answer and suggestion.
I am very busy at the moment but I will do as you propose and write back to you in the coming weeks.

Best regards,
Emil