Chinatangb262
Novice
Novice
China (cn)
China

Overlap between field maps

Post by Chinatangb262 »

Dear Didier,

After I looked through Help document of TraceWin, I found it did not explain deeply how to treat overlapping field between field maps.

As shown in the following picture, there is an overlap between Dipole field map and Quad field map, and how about the field strength in this zone?
(1) Let's have one example: for dipole field strength: Bx_d, By_d, Bz_d; and for quadrupole field strength: Bx_q, By_q, Bz_q. Field strength in the Overlap is (Bx_d+Bx_q, By_d+By_q, Bz_d+Bz_q) for one point, is it true?
(2) If (1) is true, and if I replace Quad field map by Dipole field map in the picture, will the field strength in Overlap become double? (assum dipole field map is uniform)
(3) What should I do if I don't want the magnetic field values in overlapping areas to superimpose?

Best regards,
B TANG
Attachments
Overlap.png (153.33 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
FranceDidier
Administrator
Administrator
France (fr)
France

Re: Overlap between field maps

Post by FranceDidier »

Dear B. Tang

Correct for (1) & (2).
(3) The main purpose of the SUPPERPOSED_MAP command is to overlay the fields as it would be in real life, I find it hard to see the point of using this command if you don't want it. So, no, It's not possible to deactivate that and even if I could, which map would be privileged?
The only method I can see, is to change your field mpas to what you want.

Regards,

Didier
Chinatangb262
Novice
Novice
China (cn)
China

Post by Chinatangb262 »

Dear Didier,

Thank you for your valuable reply.

Let's investigate this problem further. If we got a 3D curved multipole field map from other software, and we use FIELD_MAP and FIELD_MAP_OUT commands, how could we import the field map of "Multipole field region" into TraceWin without overlap as shown in the following picture?

Have a nice day.

Best regards,
B TANG
Attachments
question.png
question.png (31.66 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
FranceDidier
Administrator
Administrator
France (fr)
France

Post by FranceDidier »

Dear B. Tang,

On one of the two maps, you should set the field values to 0 in the triangular overlap area you indicate. You need to modify your field map files before to use in TraceWin. It's probably not simple, but I don't see any other method.

Regards,

Didier
Chinatangb262
Novice
Novice
China (cn)
China

Post by Chinatangb262 »

Dear Didier,

Bien, merci beaucoup!

This is a good way to try.