Norwayyngvelevinsen
Initiated
Initiated
Norway (no)
Norway

[solved] output field map

Post by Norwayyngvelevinsen »

Hi,

I am trying to output field map from our code, but I guess I've configured it wrong somehow. Please find the input file attached. If I uncomment the OutputFileField the simulation stops after around 0.25m, while the RFQ is around 4.55m long. If the line is commented out the simulation seem to finish as expected.

I also figured out that if I instead of an input distribution use

Code: Select all

theDistribution k
then it also seem to work, the simulation does not die. So it is perhaps triggered by a combination of an input distribution file and requesting to dump the field map?

If you do not have the vane profile you can find it here: https://gitlab.esss.lu.se/ess-bp/ess-la ... FQ_v2.vane

Distribution file you find here:
https://gitlab.esss.lu.se/ess-bp/ess-la ... sig.1M.dst
Attachments
ESS_RFQ.INP
input file
(45.63 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
Last edited by Norwayyngvelevinsen on Tue 28 Mar 2023 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
FranceRomualdDuperrier
Global moderators
Global moderators
France (fr)
France

Re: output field map

Post by FranceRomualdDuperrier »

Hi

I have no problem running the code with your input files but the .dst. At the moment I use your .dst file, the code freezes. When I try to open your .dst with Plotwin, I get the error message in the attached picture. Please consider revising your dst file and check it before runing Toutatis with PlotWin.

Best,

Romuald
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (53.12 KiB) Viewed 15292 times
Norwayyngvelevinsen
Initiated
Initiated
Norway (no)
Norway

Hi,

You need to click the link provided and click on the Download button in the middle of the page, not use wget/curl or similar (which will give you an html file with a dst ending).

Direct link to the dst file would be
https://gitlab.esss.lu.se/ess-bp/ess-la ... sig.1M.dst

I checked just now with plotwin re-downloading from the links and for me it works.
FranceRomualdDuperrier
Global moderators
Global moderators
France (fr)
France

OK. I am on it. Meanwhile, if you just want to get a field map, as you mentioned, use theDistribution k instead.

Anyway, I am trying to find the issue.

Romuald
FranceRomualdDuperrier
Global moderators
Global moderators
France (fr)
France

Hi

while I was debugging your case, I just realized reading your dst file with Plotwin that you inject a 3.6 MeV beam into a RFQ made for 75 keV. I guess you are trying to use the wrong file as input.

Romuald
Norwayyngvelevinsen
Initiated
Initiated
Norway (no)
Norway

Bah, indeed it is. It was the output RFQ file from an old simulation. Using the correct input file solves the simulation.

I'm still a bit confused how this was still tracking fine without the OutputFileField while the introduction of this made it silently quit early. In any case I know how do do it correctly now for my own part.

Thanks for the help!
FranceRomualdDuperrier
Global moderators
Global moderators
France (fr)
France

Re: [solved] output field map

Hi

I don't know if it was tracking fine but what I have noticed is that you triggered a bug in the code as Toutatis was trying to generate a field map all along the anticipated bunch path and this reference path and the 3.6 MeV bunch path were too different. This made that the code tried to export field values where there was no value calculated. Still someting I should avoid. I will make it more robust in future versions.

Best,

Romuald