Germanycvz
Beginner
Beginner
Germany (de)
Germany

PlotWin

Post by Germanycvz »

Dear Didier,

I try to use PlotWin to read the rfq.plt file generated by TOUTATIS.

PlotWin can calculate 99% emittances. My questions are as follows:

1) The calculated 99% emittances seem to be the normalized, total emittances. Could we also get the normalized, rms emittances for 99% of particles?

2) We can calculate 99% emittances every time for one cell. It is possible to calculate 99% emittances for all cells in the .plt file and store the results in a .txt file? It will be very helpful for a machine with several hundred cells.

3) It is mentioned in the manual that the emittances are calculated according to “Energy and Phase limit” defined in “Options” button. If the energy and phase limits are set, how to know how many percentage of particles are excluded from the emittance calculation?

4) The .dst file for the input distribution of toutatis can be an ASCII file or should be a binary file?

Thanks!
FranceDidier
Administrator
Administrator
France (fr)
France

Re: PlotWin

Post by FranceDidier »

Dear Chuan,

1) I'll think about this, but unfortunately it won't happen right away, I don't know when your deadline is.
2) It is not the role of PlotWin to provide this type of file and it would significantly slow down the reading of plt files which is already slow.
3) Only Toutatis can provide this.

Regards,

Didier
Germanycvz
Beginner
Beginner
Germany (de)
Germany

Post by Germanycvz »

Dear Didier,

Thank you!

1) If this function will be not available soon, I can wait.
2) OK.
3) Is this answer for my 4th question? My 3rd question is only related to PlotWin. Could you please answer it?

Have a nice evening!
FranceDidier
Administrator
Administrator
France (fr)
France

Post by FranceDidier »

Dear Chuan,

In the end it was faster than expected. The new version of PlotWin integrates the following features:
  • A new statistic is calculated corresponding to the rms value of the XX% of the particles used, as your request.
  • The possibility to save all beam parameters for all positions from a plt file, has been added, (see chapter "Make AVI file" of the manual).
Concerning question (4) that I had forgotten: No, but plotWin allows from an ASCII file to create a dst file readable by Toutatis, see the manual

Regards,

Didier
Germanycvz
Beginner
Beginner
Germany (de)
Germany

Post by Germanycvz »

Dear Didier,

It is really great! Thanks a lot!

Yes, PlotWin can save all beam parameters for all positions from a plt file. It will be very helpful if one can choose to save all beam parameters for each RFQ cell (ideally at the middle of each RFQ cell). Now we can only choose number of "Frames per second". Could you please consider this suggestion? Many thanks again!

Regards,

Chuan
FranceDidier
Administrator
Administrator
France (fr)
France

Post by FranceDidier »

Dear Chuan,

I don't understand your request, Toutatis allows to generate plt files containing beam distribution for each cell. PlotWin allows to extract the expected statistics for each of them. Sorry, but I don't see what more you need.

Regards,

Didier
Germanycvz
Beginner
Beginner
Germany (de)
Germany

Post by Germanycvz »

You are right, Didier. It is a nice-to-have, not a must-have :-)