Beginner
Beginner
Germany (de)
Germany

several questions

Post by Germanycvz »

Dear Romuald,

I made a test run with the example.inp file and got the following questions:
• In the example.inp file, there are 610 cells, but in the toutatis.out file, the data block stops at Cell 606 (I clicked on “really quit” after the simulation). Why not complete?
• In the toutatis.out file, there are 3 columns: ex99 ey99 ep99. Are they for 99% emittances? The numbers in these columns are all 0. How to get these values?
• In the old time, I got more output files after the simulation, e.g. rfq.dat, NORM.dat and rfq.plt. But now I don’t get these files. Is it correct?
• Is it possible to let Toutatis generate a Gaussian input distribution?

Thanks!
FranceRomualdDuperrier
Global moderators
Global moderators
France (fr)
France

Re: several questions

Post by FranceRomualdDuperrier »

Hi,

I try below to answer to each question in between your lines:

• In the example.inp file, there are 610 cells, but in the toutatis.out file, the data block stops at Cell 606 (I clicked on “really quit” after the simulation). Why not complete?

R= The simualtion is finished. You can compare the z dimension for example or energy. In the .out file, the Radial Matching Section is considered as one cell for compatibility reason with TraceWin. Also the cell number 0 in .inp is ignored by Toutatis. As you mention that you get 606 instead of 610, I imagine you 4 cells in your RMS.

• In the toutatis.out file, there are 3 columns: ex99 ey99 ep99. Are they for 99% emittances? The numbers in these columns are all 0. How to get these values?

R= This is again for compatibility reason with TraceWin. I have to get the same number of columns than TraceWin .out files but I do not compute these 99% emittances. Also, for your information, we provide for free the Plotwin code that helps you plotting .dst and .plt files. With Plotwin you can easily ger 99% emittances data and much more.

• In the old time, I got more output files after the simulation, e.g. rfq.dat, NORM.dat and rfq.plt. But now I don’t get these files. Is it correct?

R= NORM.dat is indeed not supported anymore but it is still possible to plt and rfq.dat. For getting plt, you need to add the command :
COMPRESSION_FACTOR n
with n = 0 or 1 or 2 to adjust digit resolution. If 0, floats will be used, 1 integer, etc.

For getting rfq.dat, add or comment DatFlag command (I do not remember by heart...).

• Is it possible to let Toutatis generate a Gaussian input distribution

R = No, it is not unfortunately. Toutatis generates only 4D waterbag distributions. But you can inject a .dst made by you. See Plotwin documentation for the .dst format.

I hope it helps,

Romuald
Germanycvz
Beginner
Beginner
Germany (de)
Germany

Post by Germanycvz »

Dear Romuald,

Thanks for the answers!

I cannot get rfq.dat file, no matter I use "DatFile 0" or "DatFile 1" or remove the DatFile line. Could you please tell it more clearly?

In the manual, it is mentioned that the format for the TheGeometryFileFlag line is "TheGeometryFileFlag type N dz"- If I choose type = 1 and N = geometry file name, what should be dz? It is not mentioned in the manual.

The .dst file for toutatis can be an ASCII file or should be a binary file?

In addition, how to change the default DW_FILTER from 100 MeV to other values?

Looking forward to your answers!
FranceRomualdDuperrier
Global moderators
Global moderators
France (fr)
France

Dear Chuan,

I try to answer to each of your questions one by one below.

You = I cannot get rfq.dat file, no matter I use "DatFile 0" or "DatFile 1" or remove the DatFile line. Could you please tell it more clearly?

> The keyword I propose in my last reply is DatFlag and not DatFile. So in principle, add DatFlag at the beginning of your .inp file and you should get a rfq.dat file generated at the end of the run based on the toutatis.out data. Also, I check this morning, and it seems that this feature disappeared in the current version. We fix that today and update the web site at least for the MS Windows version.

You = In the manual, it is mentioned that the format for the TheGeometryFileFlag line is "TheGeometryFileFlag type N dz"- If I choose type = 1 and N = geometry file name, what should be dz? It is not mentioned in the manual.

> dz is whatever you like. Toutatis reads all lines and interpolate linearly in between. So the resolution in .vane is up to you.

You = The .dst file for toutatis can be an ASCII file or should be a binary file?

> binary

you = In addition, how to change the default DW_FILTER from 100 MeV to other values?

> if you want to limit to +/-1 MeV for example, add "DW_FILTER 1" at the beginning of .inp file.

Best,

Romuald
Germanycvz
Beginner
Beginner
Germany (de)
Germany

Post by Germanycvz »

Dear Romuald,

thanks for your kindness!

To get updated version, I need to use the TOUTATIS download page or I can update it like Tracewin without new installation? You know that I have the problems to get your automatic emails. This problem is still not solved.

BTW, I guess that I can use PlotWin to save my ASCII file as a binary .dst file, am I right?

Cheers,

Chuan
FranceRomualdDuperrier
Global moderators
Global moderators
France (fr)
France

Hi

Toutatis is updated and yes you have to download from the web site. For the delay in receiving, I have increased to 20 minutes instead. Also I insist that the problem is coming from your server that greylist pour emails. Depending how your server is configured, emails could go through rapidly now as you got at least one. It could also be related to your contact list if we are not in (I mean not our cea address but the one used by the web site for sending emails).

Regarding, your question about PlotWin, I am not a PlotWin expert but I think you are correct. You should be able to do that.

Best,

Romuald
Germanycvz
Beginner
Beginner
Germany (de)
Germany

Post by Germanycvz »

Hi, our IT department has added the Domain dacm-logiciels.fr into the Whitelist two hours ago according to my suggestion. The email with the confirmation code just came but it took longer than 20 minutes. Could you please set the time limit to 1 hour?
FranceRomualdDuperrier
Global moderators
Global moderators
France (fr)
France

Hi

this is very surprising. Most of the users I am aware of get the email in a few seconds. The same for us.

Anyway, I will do as you suggest.

Best,

Romuald