United States of Americayuri_sindler
Novice
Novice
United States of America (us)
United States of America

Plot elements without GUI

Post by United States of Americayuri_sindler »

Dear Didier, Forum

I'm using TraceWin_noGUI as part of python script, my end goal is to plot beam envelope and elements using python matplotlib library.
The file tracewin.out include only beam envelope data, is there a way to generate output file with elements as a function of position along the beamline (some sort of PlotWin_noGUI)? Ideally I wish to refrain from using the GUI, all has to run automatically as background processes.

The motivation is to allow LINAC operators to see in real time (as much as possible) beam envelope changes as a function of varying LINAC parameters using tool software.

Thank you for your assistance
Yuri
FranceDidier
Administrator
Administrator
France (fr)
France

Re: Plot elements without GUI

Post by FranceDidier »

Dear Yuri,

I didn't quite understand your request, because you seem to be indicating that what tracewin.out contains is suitable for viewing the envelope, but you want a way of viewing the envelope of the beam dynamically.
By the way, have you looked at TraceWinVA (VA for virtual accelerator) which allows you to synchronise the GUI version of tracewin with the control command of a machine when it is running EPICS or ACNET? This allows you to synchronise all graphics output with a running machine.

Regards,

Didier
United States of Americayuri_sindler
Novice
Novice
United States of America (us)
United States of America

Post by United States of Americayuri_sindler »

Dear Didier

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your help.
I'll look into TraceWinVA, I wasn't familiar with it. Thank you for pointing that out.

Regarding my original question, I'll try to explain. The output file tracewin.out contain only beam data without elements (quadrupoles, magnets, etc.) if I plot only the contents of the tracewin.out I won't know at which element the change occurs.
Is there a way to draw the elements based on other tracewin files without using tracewin GUI?

Thank you
FranceDidier
Administrator
Administrator
France (fr)
France

Post by FranceDidier »

Dear Yuri,

What corresponds best to your request is the content of the "data" page, where the structure of the machine is fully described. You can save it via the "Save table to file" button in the interface or via a "tab_file=your_file_name" command.
But clearly once again TraceWinVA would do all this much more simply and powerfully.

Regards,

Didier